- (Reference :13589)
Specialist, Systems Development
To succeed in this role, the incumbent must design, develop, test, and debug new software or enhancements made to existing software and ensure results meet expectations. They must work at the technical and/or design level of all phases of application systems analysis and programming activities to identify, understand, and resolve problems. The incumbent must establish program scope, efforts and objectives for problem resolutions related to the development of information systems and develop expertise in specific areas to influence and provide directions for systems development activities.
* Participates in formulating program scope and objectives through research and the analysis of the current situation.
* Prepares complex, detailed specifications that will be used to develop or modify programs depending on their level of complexity.
* Implements a set of specifications by coding, compiling and testing the applications.
* Develops and modifies program documentation for users and Operations.
* Analyzes and reviews highly complex logic problems pertaining to existing systems and programs and, when required, designs appropriate solutions.
* Plays an active role with users during the testing phase of new or modified applications.
* Works closely with other IT specialists to actively participate in development, testing and debugging activities.
* May be called upon to concentrate efforts on testing of applications based on conditions.
* Communicates knowledge in a proactive manner to other, less experienced colleagues in order to enable them to increase their knowledge.
* Provides guidance and training for less experienced staff members.
* Implements technological solutions in line with the Company's programming and quality assurance standards.
* Acts as a change agent (facilitator) with regard to introducing new tools, methods, development approaches and organizational change.
* University degree in IT (undergraduate degree or higher), with a minimum of five (5) years of experience in a relevant IT environment.
* Ability to set up testing environments, libraries, tools and other elements required to perform the duties related to the role (knowledge of Harvest tools is an asset).
* Ability to work in an organizational matrix context.
* Demonstrates technical leadership skills recognized by peers.
* Is self-motivated, able to prioritize and accustomed to working under pressure and time constraints.
* Ability to adapt to new technology.
* Good knowledge of Microsoft Access.
* Very good knowledge of the PL/SQL language and Pro*C.
* Good knowledge of the SLX platform.
* Good oral and written communication in English and in French.
Standard Life is a leading provider of long-term savings and investment solutions to over 6 million customers worldwide. Headquartered in Scotland, it has offices in the UK, Canada, Ireland, Germany, Austria, India, USA, Hong Kong and mainland China. In Canada, Standard Life has been doing business for over 175 years. With over 2,000 employees based in Montréal and in offices across Canada, it provides long-term savings, investment and insurance solutions to more than 1.3 million Canadians, including group insurance and retirement plan members.