The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, a national union representing some 60,000 professionals and scientists throughout Canada, requires a Classification Officer for its National Office.
The position reports to the Section Head, Classification, Compensation and Analysis and is responsible for providing specialized technical advice and guidance on classification related issues.
The major responsibilities of this position include:
• providing advice, support, guidance, and representation to members, groups of members and staff on matters related to classification, work descriptions and job content;
• providing advise and representing members in the presentation of member classification, job description, and pay level grievances up to and including third party tribunals;
• leading or participating in projects related to the development/modification and implementation of member classification plans, changes to plans, work description roll-outs, policies and other related topics with internal and external clients;
• providing technical expertise to staff and members and providing support to negotiators and the collective bargaining process on member classification matters;
• conducting or assisting in classification and work description training sessions and promoting positive communications, information sharing and best practices to develop and maintain a qualified steward network;
• preparing presentations and articles for publication in the Institute newsletters/communiqués and Website on member classification issues; and
• participating in multi-disciplinary teams assigned to special projects.
The successful bilingual candidate will have a university degree in labour relations, or a related discipline, with three to five years experience in labour relations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The candidate will have knowledge of the principles of job evaluation and related matters and will have experience in evaluating work. The incumbent will have a thorough knowledge of the authorities governing employer/employee relations in the federal public service of Canada and other jurisdictions in which Institute members are employed. The incumbent will also have experience in and demonstrated ability to evaluate existing proposed classification standards, work descriptions, provide advice and recommend amendments to the design and implementation of alternative approaches. Demonstrated ability to provide training on classification systems as well as the ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing, to prepare briefs, reports and correspondence on a range of classification and pay system subjects is required.
THE SALARY $74,030 to $92,538
Applications, making reference to competition 12/02 and complete with curriculum vitae, should be submitted by 4:00 p.m., Thursday, February 23, 2012 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 1-800-465-7477.
The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.