A Jobboom account has already been created using this email address.
Please enter your password to connect your Jobboom account with Facebook.
Reporting to the Senior Manager Corporate Accounting , The Accountant prepares financial statements on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis, for internal and external purposes according to established schedules, performs monthly reconciliations, and explains significant discrepancies and/or unusual transactions. He/she also acts as liaison between VIA management and external auditors.
• Receives, controls and organizes information required to produce the Financial Statements using the General Ledger and other Oracle financial modules, Payroll VIP system, revenue accounting (IRAS), and on board inventory (ICES) as a source of data.
• Prepares financial statements and supporting schedules and reconciliations on a monthly basis.
• Sets work deadlines for month-ends and year end General Ledger closures and cut-offs, and monitors progress of work though regular contacts with user departments.
• Coordinates information requirements for various governmental reports (NTA, Public Accounts and Statistics Canada).
• Monitors and reviews all corporate account reconciliations to ensure consistency and integrity of content and balances.
• Bachelor in Administration and a chartered professional accountant (CPA) designation. 5 years of experience in a professional accounting firm and/or in the preparation of financial statements in a large corporation. Must possess a high level of knowledge with respect to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Proficient with Microsoft Office including PowerPoint.
• Manages time and resources effectively. Able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
• Communicates messages clearly and effectively in both French and English (written and oral).
• Seeks opportunities to collaborate with others. Demonstrates strong teamwork capabilities.
• Possesses strong technical and analytical skills.
• Is curious, rigorous and critical.
• Makes sound decisions. Validates decisions with more experienced colleagues when required.
• Shows initiative in solving problems.
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.
Our employees are key contributors to operating 420 trains weekly on 12,500 kilometers of track, serving 450 communities across the country, from coast to coast and north to Hudson Bay . They believe in our more human way to travel. They share our passion for quality services, traveller satisfaction and safety. They continue to make us a leader in travel and tourism experiences in Canada.
Over the coming years, together, we will tackle ambitious passenger rail modernization and expansion projects. We will also experience the retirement of many colleagues. This will open the door to a wealth of opportunities for motivated individuals who embrace our mission and values.
New on Jobboom
Your profile and CV will now be visible to employers.
Don’t forget to complete your profile and update your CV to help employers find you.